Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Low Carb Creamy Chicken Casserole


I'm going to start this post by apologizing for the pictures.  I know they are not the prettiest pictures and by no means do they give this dish justice, but I'm still figuring out this whole food photography thing and casseroles are hard to get good pictures of!  It just kinda all fall apart as soon as you take it out of the dish.

Lately, I have been stuck in the same routine for dinner.  It's always some kind of meat: chicken, pork, steak, with a side of either vegetables or salad.  I don't know about you, but after awhile of eating the same things every night, I tend to get a bit bored.  And when your on a diet, the last thing you want to do is get bored with your food; that's when cheating tends to happen.

Would you rather have the same meat and vegetables you had last night, or would you rather order some pizza or a burger?  Of course the last things could be altered to make it keto friendly, however those calories will still sneak up on you!

So that's where this recipe comes into play.  The other night, I had some extra time to prepare dinner so I thought I would try something new.  Casseroles are a great dish, because you can just add a bunch of ingredients together and bake it, and usually it comes out tasting pretty good.

Okay, the best part of this dish is the secret ingredient: Cauliflower!  And I can guarantee to you, no one will know there is cauliflower in this.  It's a great option to sneak those vegetables in for picky husbands and kids.

The cauliflower mash becomes this creamy sauce which is a great match with the chicken and cheese.  I must admit, my husband looked at it and wondered what kind of mush I was trying to feed him, but once he took a bite, he realized how good it actually was!

I made this casserole into 2 servings and had it on its own as a main dish.  However, you could definitely get away with separating this into 3-4 servings and having it as a side dish.  As a main, this casserole comes to 499 calories and 10 net carbs.


Ingredients:
Cauliflower, half a head, (approx 400g)
1 large chicken breast, (approx 200g uncooked)
1 tbsp butter
30ml (2 tbsp) heavy cream
60g (1/4 cup) cream cheese
60ml (1/4 cup) sour cream
1/4 cup shredded cheese
Garlic powder, to taste
Onion powder, to taste




Directions:
1. Cook chicken and shred into bite sized pieces.  I cooked my in the pressure cooker, on high for 10 minutes.


2. Cook cauliflower until tender.  It should fall apart when stabbed with a fork.  I cooked mine in the pressure cooker for 10 minutes (while I was shredding the chicken)


3. Place cauliflower, butter, cream, cream cheese, garlic powder and onion powder in blender and puree into a smooth mixture.



4. In a mixing bowl, add cauliflower puree, chicken and sour cream.  Mix well.


5. Pour mixture into a lined 8x8 casserole pan and cover with cheese.


6. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
7. Let cool for 5 minutes and enjoy!




Nutrition:
Per half casserole:
Calories = 499
Protein = 38g
Fat = 35g
Carbohydrates = 15g
Fiber = 5g
Net Carbs = 10g


No comments:

Post a Comment