Saturday, May 5, 2018

My Essential Keto Grocery List

WHAT DO YOU BUY FOR A KETO DIET?!

I get so many questions about what foods you should buy to support the keto diet, so I figured I would put together this quick list.  These are the foods that I keep stocked up in my home as my keto staples. 

Also, yes, I did put some Amazon affiliation links in this post.  This is just to show you what I buy, please do not think you have to click the links, nor buy any of these products from Amazon. These products can all be found at your local grocery store.

Please note, these are just what I buy and by no means, is keto restricted to this list.  You'll notice that there are some foods that are staples in most keto diets, such as avocados, that do not appear on my list.  This is simply because I do not like them.  Don't think I am leaving them out because they are not good for you, or are carb heavy; I just choose not to eat them.

I'm also leaving treats out of this one.  I will make another post soon with all my favourite keto treats and snacks!  This post is just the basics and essentials of what you should have to begin your journey into ketosis.

Meats

Meats are a basic necessity of most keto diets.  I know there are some vegan keto dieters out there, and props to them; I'm not sure I would be able to meet my macros without meat.  Or dairy for that matter.

I usually buy the big family packs of meat and separate into baggies.  This is important, not only to save money, but really helps with portion control.

My meat go to's:

  • Ground meat (beef, pork, chicken) - this often rotates based on what is on sale.
  • Chicken thighs
  • Chicken breasts
  • Pork chops
  • Breakfast Sausage - Check ingredients for added sugar! Try to get the ones with none added.
  • Bacon - See above note - so many brands have sugar added and carbs can really add up quick!
  • Bacon Bits - great topping for salads & veggies!
  • Fish
  • Burgers
  • Meatballs - great for quick meals!
  • Steak (I like the beef chunks, which are often cheaper with a bit more fat)
  • Smokies/Hot Dogs - I eat these for lunches often

Dairy

As mentioned above, dairy is a huge part of my diet - it's where a lot of my fat sources come from.  And if you follow me closely, you'll know I eat cheese daily!

My must have's:
  • Shredded Cheese - I know this has a tiny it of carbs in it, but I think it's worth it in order to avoid shredding my own cheese.
  • Cheese Sticks/ Babybel cheese - for easy convenient snacks
  • Heavy Whipping Cream - for my coffees
  • Cream Cheese
  • Sour Cream
  • Butter (not margarine!)
  • Eggs (is this considered dairy?! - probably not) - This one is important for most keto-ers, however I actually don't like eggs and only used them in baking.  I know, I'm weird.  I'm probably the only one on a keto diet who doesn't eat eggs daily!

Vegetables

You have to be careful with vegetables, there are many high carb veggies out there that you cannot eat on the keto diet.  You have to keep it to green leafy vegetables, and high fiber ones.

With the exception of lettuce, I buy frozen vegetables - mainly for convenience and for the fact that they last longer. That's a lie, actually.  I do buy fresh cauliflower rice and cabbage, but I end up sticking those in the freezer; so they are pretty much considered frozen veggies to me.


I get these:
  • Broccoli
  • Cauliflower
  • Riced Cauliflower
  • Cabbage (I shred, portion and freeze)
  • Brussel Sprouts
  • Lettuce


Baking
 
Of course, I always have low carb baking ingredients in my home.  You never know when you'll want to whip up some cookies!

You'll see these in most of my recipes:


Pantry

The dry ingredients. 

  • Olive Oil
  • Coconut Oil
  • Hemp Seeds
  • Chia Seeds
  • Coffee
  • Herbs/Spices (look for no added sugars)
  • Nuts (low carb options - macadamia, walnuts, almonds)
  • Bone Broth
  • Salad Dressing (full fat, low carb!) I buy ranch and ceasar

And that's it!  This is a pretty basic list of the ingredients that I always have stocked in my home.  Most of my meals are based around these.  I may have forgot some things, but if you are new to Keto, this will definitely help you to get started.  Like I said previously, all of these products can be found at your local grocery store and none of them are too expensive (with the exception of maybe the meat).

I hope you find this to be helpful!  I will be uploading my favorite keto treats and snacks soon, as well as the supplements I take daily. So, keep posted!





No comments:

Post a Comment