Saturday, April 7, 2018

Chocolate Peanut Butter KETO Muffins







Who doesn't love peanut butter and chocolate together? 

I've been having craving for some Reese's Peanut Butter Squares lately, especially after the Easter Holiday.  By the way, Easter without all the yummy Easter candies and chocolates is not fun!  Oh, how I wanted some Creme Eggs and a chocolate bunny!

I did supplement my Easter candies with the Russell Stover No Sugar Added Peanut Butter Cups, which, by the way, were delicious! However, I did eat the whole bag in one sitting, which probably wasn't the best decision...

Anyways, I was trying to decide how else I could add this peanut butter/ chocolate combination into my snacks.  I know you can always grab a piece of low carb dark chocolate and spoon some peanut butter on it (also delicious), but I wanted something that could be baked - something that seemed more 'carby'.  You know, those treats that treat you into thinking you are eating loads of carbohydrates, but your really not.

So my idea was chocolate peanut butter muffins.  My initial plan was to make this as a kind of lava cake type snack, however I realized that, with this recipe anyways, it just wasn't going to work.  This is for a very straight forward reason - natural peanut butter is harder and thicker, especially when cooled.  Therefore, its not just going to ooze out when you cut the muffin open.  One thing that I did not try, though, was warming the muffin up before eating it.  Maybe you could try that and see if you get a lava effect.

If you haven't figured it out yet, these are chocolate muffins with a peanut butter center.  This recipe is based off of the Cinnamon Keto Muffins that I made not too long ago.  I omitted the cinnamon powder and added cacao powder to make these 'chocolatey', however if you are big on chocolate, you may want to try melting some low carb chocolate and adding it to the batter.  I might do this next time.  Note, that you will probably have to up the amount of almond flour if you decide to try this out.

However, I do think these turned out delicious as is.  In fact, my husband said they were one of the best low carb treats that I have made so far.  He went as far as eating his with jam to add some extra flavour.

Oh, one more addition you may want to make to this recipe - if you have a sweet tooth, you may want to add a little bit of sweetener to the peanut butter filling. Additionally, if you have patience - which I did not have - it will be easier to separate the peanut butter into 1 tbsp balls and freeze.  This will keep the peanut butter in the center of the muffin and it will not leak out the sides will cooking (like it did for me!).

And of course, always make sure that you are using Natural Peanut Butter - just peanuts and nothing else added!

Okay, time for the recipe:

Ingredients:
2 cups Almond Flour
2 large eggs
1 cup heavy cream
3 1/2 tbsp Truvia**
1/2 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp cacao powder
1/4 cup melted butter
12 tbsp of natural peanut butter (3/4 cup) 

**Please note, if using another low carb sweetener, such as Swerve, you will have to increase the amount - probably about 1/3 cup would work. I taste the batter to determine if enough sweetener was used!


Directions:
Firstly, beat eggs, cream, Truvia, and melted butter together until well mixed.
Next, mix in almond flour, cacao powder and baking powder.
Pour half the batter into muffin cups. Then scoop 1 tbsp peanut butter on top.  


Pour the rest of the batter on top of the peanut butter and bake for around 22-25 minutes, until golden brown on the top at 350 degrees.

Nutrition Facts:
Servings = 12 muffins
Nutrition per 1 muffin:

Calories = 305
Fat = 27.8g
Protein = 9.7g
Carbs = 7.8g
Fiber = 3.5g

Net Carbs = 4.3g

No comments:

Post a Comment