Sunday, April 29, 2018

Fathead Pizza "Cookies"

I was going to call these Pizza Bites; however my husband starting referring to them as cookies and the name just kind of stuck.

So now, we treat ourselves to savory pizza cookies.

This recipe came about simply because I was being lazy and wanted to make something simple.  I have made so many sweet treats, so I thought something savory would be nice, for once.  Initially, I wanted to make mini pizza pockets - that sounded so delicious to me.

However, I remembered that awhile ago I tried to make calzones and I don't know why - but I remember having so many problems with them.  The dough would shrink after rolling it out, I'd put too much fillings in them, I couldn't get the dough folded over and when I finally got all those things to work out for me, they would still somehow leak out while cooking.

Making these into bite size delights would be even more of a disaster; so I figured it just wasn't worth it.  I like my recipes to be simple and stress free!

So I thought, why not just bake everything together?  Why does the pepperoni have to be in the very center?  Why can't it just be spread throughout?

No good answers came to me - so I went ahead and did it!

If you are a veteran to the Keto diet, no doubt you have heard about Fathead Dough.  It's only of the most popular Keto pizza doughs, and I've even seen recipes using it for biscuits and breads.

If you are new to Keto - let me introduce you to your new favourite thing.  Fathead Dough.  It's literally dough made of cheese and almond flour.  This is one of the few Keto 'bread' recipes I have found that I really like.  Most others have a billion eggs in them and that's all it tastes like.  This dough, however, only calls for 1 egg and you don't taste it at all.  Instead, this recipe really uses the cheese as a binding ingredient to keep everything together.  I have no idea who came up with this, but they deserve an award or something.

The only thing I changed about this recipe was adding some baking powder to allow some rising while cooking.  I also believe the original recipe calls for mozzarella cheese - I usually use a blend of cheddar and mozzarella because that is what I normally have on hand.  You can use either and it w
ill turn out great.  And of course, mixing the pizza toppings right into the dough is the other change I made!

These little bites or "cookies" would be great for parties or appetizers.  I can guarantee you, they will be a hit.  You can also serve it with a side of marinara or alfredo sauce for dipping.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
3/4 cup almond flour
30g (2 tbsp) cream cheese
1 egg
2 tbsp pizza sauce
65g Pepperoni slices
1 tsp baking powder
Italian Seasoning, to taste
1/3 cup additional shredded cheese for topping





Directions:
1. Melt together cheese and cream cheese.  This is best done by microwaving for 30 second intervals until they can be easily mixed together.


2. Add in egg, pizza sauce, Italian seasoning, baking powder and pepperoni.  Mix until thoroughly blended.


3. Add in almond flour and mix completely.  You may need to use your hands for this, depending whether your cheese mixture has started to harden.  You can also microwave the mixture for a few seconds to soften, be careful not to microwave for too long as you do not want to cook the egg.


4. Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes to firm dough

5. Roll dough out into balls and place on pan lined with parchment paper.  Lightly press balls down and top with remaining cheese.  These will spread out when cooking, so make sure to place 1-2 inches apart.

6. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-17 minutes


Nutritional Info:
Servings: 15
Per 1 Serving:
Calories = 103
Fat = 8.5g
Protein = 4.7g
Carbs = 2.3g
Fiber = 0.6g
Net Carbs =  1.7g


**Please note, nutritional facts will vary depending on the pizza sauce that is used,  I used Primo Pizza Sauce, with has 7 net carbs for 1/4 serving.  Therefore, it only added 3.5 net carbs to the entire recipe.  You can definitely find pizza sauce with fewer carbs or omit it completely if you want a lower carb count.


No comments:

Post a Comment